There were no shortage of exhilarating episodes of Game of Thrones in season 5. The action-packed year reached a fever pitch at Hardhome and Daznak’s Pit. The show’s Emmy-winning visual effects were front and center in the climactic moments of the season, and were laced more subtly throughout the stories all season. Today at the Watchers on the Wall Awards, we’re celebrating both the action scenes and the special effects of Game of Thrones that take our breath away.
The finalists were voted on by our readers in the preliminary rounds. (Detailed poll results here!)
The nominees are:
For Best Action Scene:
- Jon battles a White Walker one-on-one at Hardhome – Watch the scene
- Arya crosses Meryn Trant off her list – Watch the scene
- Barristan Selmy goes down like a boss – Watch the scene
- Amid the mass slaughter at Hardhome, Jon fights his way to the hut – Watch the scene
- Wun Wun stomps, tosses and bludgeons wights at Hardhome – Watch the scene
For Best Special Effects:
- Tyrion and Jorah spy a dragon as they sail through ruins of Valyria
- Drogon attacks and Dany rides at Daznak’s Pit
- A White Walker walks through flames, fights Jon and is shattered by Longclaw
- Wights throw themselves off the cliffs at Hardhome
- With Jon at sea, the Night’s King raises the dead of Hardhome
Polls are at the bottom the post– but first, here are this season’s VFX breakdown reels, detailing the visual/special effects transformation process involved in Game of Thrones!
In the finals, unlike the preliminaries, fans have one vote to cast in each category, and 48 hours to make their decision and vote.
Best Action Scene Poll:
Best Special Effects Poll:
The final round polls will be open for 48 hours: Best Special Effects and Best Action Scene beginning now and running until 9/30/15 at 4PM EDT. The results will be revealed at the Watchers On The Wall Awards ceremony in a couple weeks!