With much delay, here is another look into the past. While you can read about what went on in the world of Game of Thrones three years ago below, we have a festive occasion to commemorate: our fan community has been around for seven years! A blessed number.
Yes … it was in November 2008 that Winter (Phil) started it all. What are your memories of that period? Were you around then? Here’s to many more years. Hip Hip Hooray!
Check after the jump what went on in the fall of 2012, three years ago.
- Season three filmed in Norhern Ireland, Iceland, Morocco, and Croatia, no surprise there if you do your maths right …
- New names joined the cast, including some big ones: Ciarán Hinds became our Mance! We learned from a source that Noah Taylor was cast (eventually to play Locke, the Vargo Hoat substitute), and so was Burn Gorman (the Night’s Watch rebel Karl Tanner). We also learned about Dan Hildebrand (Kraznys mo Nakloz), Jacob Anderson (Grey Worm!), and Ed Skrein (as the first Daario).
- Game of Thrones won a Hugo award, and got an official beer line in partnership with Brewery Ommegang. Cheers!
- Two promo videos were released: an In Production featurette, and a video blog on Art Direction.
- We collaborated with Topix Media to publish a special one-time Game of Thrones magazine full of GoT material.
- Not to anyone’s surprise, Game of Thrones became the most pirated show of 2012 for the first time, and has stayed at the top of the list since.
Be well until Season Six! (Yes, I know it has a 9gag stamp …)