The Hugo Awards nominations were announced today, honoring the best in science fiction and fantasy for the past year. Game of Thrones has once again made the short list, picking up two nominations in one category!
In the category of Best Dramatic Presentation – Short Form, two season six Game of Thrones episodes were cited- the emotional Hodor-centered highlight, “The Door,” and the huge Miguel Sapochnik-directed ninth episode, “Battle of the Bastards.”
The complete category:
- Black Mirror: “San Junipero”, written by Charlie Brooker, directed by Owen Harris (House of Tomorrow)
- Doctor Who: “The Return of Doctor Mysterio”, written by Steven Moffat, directed by Ed Bazalgette (BBC Cymru Wales)
- The Expanse: “Leviathan Wakes”, written by Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby, directed by Terry McDonough (SyFy)
- Game of Thrones: “Battle of the Bastards”, written by David Benioff and D. B. Weiss, directed by Miguel Sapochnik (HBO)
- Game of Thrones: “The Door”, written by David Benioff and D. B. Weiss, directed by Jack Bender (HBO)
- Splendor & Misery [album], by Clipping (Daveed Diggs, William Hutson, Jonathan Snipes)
The winners announcement ceremony date is set for August 11th, 2017.
In other awards news, the 21st Annual Webby Awards nominations were announced and Game of Thrones also picked up nods here.
Game of Thrones is nominated in the category of Best Overall Social Presence, and will be competing against:
- National Geographic’s Social Presence
- NASA’s Cassini Mission Social Media
- The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon / Social Experience
- Old Spice Social
GoT’s “Battle of the Bastards” featurette is recognized in the category of Unscripted (Branded). GoT will compete against:
- Plastics Make It Possible – Hudson (Ogilvy)
- Buy Back the Block (Fitzgerald & Co)
- A New Hero The Rise of College ESports (Schiefer Chopshop)
- Converse Wear Tests – 13th Witness (Decon)
Good luck to Game of Thrones and congratulations on their nominations!